Thursday, July 24, 2008

Hot holiday day

We had another pleasant evening constitutional last night. Once again, we wandered along the canal to Canary Wharf. This time, though, instead of getting on a boat we headed straight through to the bars near the tall glass buildings that make up Canary Wharf. It was full of sharply dressed business men, and a few smart women in crisp suits and heels. I felt a bit under dressed in my linen trousers and TopShop flowery top. However, I looked around me, and thought, I could teach your children, I have taught your younger selves. None of you would be here without people like me ... I didn't mean it in a snobby way, but I think it would be easy to look around at all the people who look rich with easy lives and think they've got it all and feel a bit inferior, since sometimes it's easy to get the feeling that perhaps those so-called "Masters of the Universe" might look down on we lesser mortals, but we are all people, and we all fit in one way or another, and none of us are greater or lesser than anyone else. We're just all different. So I felt a little less out of place, and we had a nice drink and some chips and prawns, and enjoyed being in the sunshine, and I used the opportunity to try and figure out what shoes I'd like to buy for this nice weather, that I can also walk (and not trip!) in, and then H pointed out a girl wearing the same top as me, except with a black pencil skirt and heels, so I thought I could try that sometime, and finally we headed back home, once again walking all the way.

Today I decided to leave H to his work (a good decision - he managed to complete the work he had been struggling with while I had been around to disturb him!), and headed out into the sunshine. It was a beautiful day and I didn't want it to go to waste. On the other hand, it was very hot so I didn't want to be outside too much! So I went to the Victoria and Albert Museum. I've not been before, and I didn't think H would fancy it that much, so it was a good choice. I wanted to do some research for a school project we've got coming up.

I took loads of photos and the art and artefacts I saw were very interesting; however, the best bit by far was when I walked out into a court, into the blazing hot sunshine, and saw a sign - "Do not sit or swim in the pool. Be careful when paddling" - or words to that effect. Paddling!!! I don't remember the last time I paddled. And I had the shoes for it today - easy to slip on and off. It was wonderful to slip my feet into the cool pool, and to feel immediately so relaxed and happy! I walked across the pool to the other side, and felt it was a shame to come out, but it would also be strange not to. So I got out and sat in the sun for a bit, until my feet dried - and then walked back across! Bliss!

From the V&A I had to go and meet H and a friend near Victoria, so took the tube there and visited the cathedral for a while. It was lovely and cool inside, and a lovely place to be. I took some photos, but it was also nice to be a bit contemplative. I have to say, I do like all the candles and the holy water. It's very sensory, I like having things to look at and touch. Then I met up with H and our friend, and we had a nice tapas meal before coming home. And updating the blog.

Another productive day! (As in, I didn't do much, but I did a lot with myself, and it was a definite holiday day.)

Wonder what we'll do tomorrow?!

No comments: