Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Out of School

Spent a lovely day in another school, explaining about Web 2.0 to a group of educators. Very exciting to have that opportunity, and they seemed to be very interested. I hope they go on to consider how they can use these ideas in lessons - exciting to pass that flame on!

Listened to an interesting conversation on the train on the way home. Two boys got on, and there was a pungent smell of grass (weed grass, not grass grass ...). Anyway, the word heroin pricked up my ears, as in "it's better than heroin", and in between dozing I caught snatches of conversation about blow, QV (?), weed and other terms that I can't remember now.

"You carry the blow, I'll keep all the cash."
"I could keep the cash."
"No, I don't trust you, you always lost it. I'll keep it all in my zip pocket, here."
"Not mine as well."
"All of it."
"No, I'll keep my spending money."
"Yeah, you can keep that, but I'll keep the rest ... We'll need to find someone who sells it cheaper, that's too much."
"Do you know how much a 2 carat gold chain is worth?"
"Dunno. How much?"
"This man, he told me, a grand!"
"Which man?"
"A grand, you know? He said ..."
"Which man? The Persian? With the white van?"
"He had this ... three elephants ... do you know how much an elephant weighs?"
"Tel me, what man? The one with the van? I just want to know which man."
"Yes, the one with the van. Anyway, you know an average elephant? It weighs a tonne. So that man, the Persian, he says, I just got this ... I pushed it over the edge and into my van. Got two grand for it!"


Anyway, it was just too surreal a conversation for me to follow, then I was distracted by a woman who got on later and was singing songs in French to her little boy in his buggy, who decided to start crying not long before London. But interesting way to journey home, anyway. I've never overheard real people talking about real drugs before in public ...

Had a kebab for dinner. Great to be home earlier! Will have an early night.

No comments: