Tuesday, April 01, 2008

April Fool

The traffic was an April Fool's Day joke today. The road was closed - but no diversion signs, so a queue of traffic made its way up and down roads, struggling to choose which way to go, ending up in long static queues of traffic. Because there were no signs, we couldn't work out how to get back onto the main road. It normally takes about 20 minutes for me to walk to church - after 40 minutes of driving, I found myself outside my church. I crawled past, and 30 minutes later, I was back outside it again but on the other side of the road ... I tried a third time to get onto the main road, a few miles further north, but with no luck. I eventually gave up and drove through the busy streets between home and work. I missed my planning lesson, and arrived a bit late for the next lesson.

At the end of the day I rushed out to collect my dissertation. I took a wrong turning, and, once again, found myself running late. The woman at the uni had said she was leaving at 4.30pm - I drove up the uni drive at 4.25pm. Fortunately she answered the phone when I called and asked if she could wait 5 more minutes, then it was like challenge Anneka, running down to the office while on the phone giving her my name, then running up the stairs, then leafing through the shelves of dissertations trying to find mine against the clock. I did, and was back in the car at 4.37pm. Phew.

On the way home there was another diversion, then I got lost, so again it took me a long time to get home. What a day - I think I spent about as long in the car as in the classroom!

No comments: