Sunday, September 09, 2007

Sunday

Had a great night last night. We went to the Lee Hurst Backyard Comedy Club with a friend; I haven't laughed so much in ages! Lee Hurst, the compere, was really funny - especially in the way he handled hecklers - and the last comic was really good too. There was also another couple of guys, one with funny hair, the other a magician, who made a dove appear, which was quite impressive - the first time I've seen that done in real life - but was also a bit strange. Dark humour.

I was also a bit shocked when some barristers in the audience, asked by Lee to share some interesting cases with us, gave us some examples of stories. One girl shared a story about a current case which featured some unusual points, which seemed really unprofessional to me. I don't think her client would have appreciated everybody in the comedy club knowing about it. Then a young man told us a story which I presume is a legal type joke - he was defending a burglar, who was bad because he kept leaving fingerprints everywhere, and kept getting caught. So the barrister told him to stop burgling, or at least wear a pair of gloves. A few months later he was in court again. Why didn't you wear gloves?, the barrister asked him. He had worn gloves - those fingerless ones. (Hope it was a joke ... we wondered about the professional advice burglars are receiving from their defence barristers these days!)

Today I was walking to church when I saw a family all dressed smartly in black and white, carrying food, obviously on their way to the local gospel church with a pot luck lunch. I was thinking about how the black and white clothes reminded me of Jehovah's Witnesses, as they crossed the road in front of me, and then I noticed that the mother's skirt was quite short. I was wondering whether that was okay - the knee high boots, the lacy black tights, the short skirt - when I realised that her skirt was hitched up from walking. And that she had a slit in her skirt, that had also ridden up. And that her underwear matched the black and white theme ... Oh dear. I hope someone told her quickly and that she wasn't too mortified that she had been walking around with her underwear showing ...

Right. I'm off. Shopping, tidying, some lesson planning, then hopefully a bit of relaxation and an early night!

No comments: