Monday, December 18, 2006

Heads of Department

Met with another HoD today, who will give me support in my new acting HoD role in the run up to our Ofsted inspection. I thought I was getting by okay, but now we've met I have a much bigger picture of what needs to be done! (And what can be achieved ...) I think I was viewing my role in an interim capacity, but I now feel a bit like a Head of Department with a bigger vision, more responsibility for what the department achieves, and a three year rolling plan!

All our Schemes of Work need to be rewritten, in the light of shorter lessons and streaming. Assessment for Learning is a key area of development, and this requires us to look closely again at the attainment levels. I should perhaps delegate more to the department ... anyone like to volunteer to rewrite the Year 8 Mass Scheme of Work?! We also need more consistency across the department in following the lesson plans and in welcoming the pupils to class ... and it's up to me to make sure that happens! Our next departmental meeting could be interesting ... quite full, too, I think!

At least when Ofsted come, I'll be able to show them my long term plan, and explain what we are implementing and when. We will probably trial peer and self assessment first, then roll it out over the next three years, until everyone is used to it. We may try to come up with some new resources. I need to try and balance new resources with our diminishing budget though ... And will anyone want to volunteer for departmental detention duty?

Lots to think about then! I think I've been sitting back to much and letting my HoDs get on with things ... now I need to take action, and be the person telling others what needs to be done, and who needs to do what. This will take all my assertiveness and determination, I think! Wish me luck in this new adventure!

No comments: