Wednesday, June 27, 2007

What's happening?

Have you ever, every felt like this? When strange things happen, are you going round the twist? (Emmm ... with apologies to the "Going Round the Twist" theme tune people).

Emmm ... the strange thing is ... lots of pupils seem to have been a bit more on task over the last couple of days! I feel a bit befuzzled by it all. My year 9s ... well, there are still too many with jackets on, listening to music and reading newspapers, but most actually took part in the lesson, and again, most wrote quite a bit down (copying, yes, but they should now have the answers to at least two if not three exam questions in their books). My year 7s were able to watch most of the St Francis of Assisi video in relative quiet, even silence at points, with only four having to be taking outside for questioning and threatened with the referral room and phone calls home. And my year 10s answered two evaluation questions today! So all in all not a bad day today, and it was similar yesterday.

Shame it's not like that with all my lessons, or those of my colleagues. I was in one room today talking to a couple of sixth formers about a forthcoming trip, when we heard a terrible noise from next door. We got up to see what was happening, and I saw one pupil about to throw a chair while we heard a table being knocked over. I told the sixth formers to take on the responsibility of being helpful sixth formers, which they did (they are very sensible and nice sixth formers) and they helped sort out the pupils who were fighting whilst I removed one boy who had captured the whole incident on mobile phone. Eventually managed to get him to delete it. Would have been good evidence, but I wasn't confident about actually taking the phone off him before he managed to send it to someone else, so decided best option was to have it removed asap. Got him to show me three times slowly that the video section was empty. Only hope he hadn't already saved it elsewhere - never thought of that. However, apparently he was moaning for the rest of the lesson about how he had had to delete it, so hopefully it's not going to end up on YouTube. Scary, though, that they see no wrong in videoing something like that for further distribution.

Tum ti tum tum, tum ti tum tum, tum ti tum tum - wooo-ooo-oooooooo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I agree that mobile phones should not be allowed while in the classroom. Maybe the weather is keeping them subdued.

Nzeru Louisa said...

I agree - they are not supposed to have them but it's not always easy to make sure that they don't, and with other things to follow up it's not always easy to punish them. If it is the weather that's subduing them, then I hope it stays overcast and miserable for a couple more weeks! (But sunny at weekends ...!)