Friday, August 07, 2009

Day Two

I think I've made slightly better progress today - although I couldn't have done it without yesterday, and I still have quite a bit to do!

I woke up around 9am this morning, with my alarm - no bright sun to open my eyes today! No, it was bleak, overcast, damp and cool, and remained so for most of the day (until I left around 7pm to go shopping, when, very kindly, it cheered up a lot and was a pleasant summer's evening!)

I have swept and hoovered about half of the room, and cleared most of both desks. I have just now been to the shops and stocked up on vegetables.

Breakfast - poached egg on toast

Lunch - carrot and coriander "healthy eating" soup with toast

Snack - banana

Dinner - small slice of cheese and onion quiche and some boiled veg. Cabbage, courgettes, carrots and cauliflower in a veg stock cube. I should have added some celery, as I bought some of that as well! Hadn't realised until now that they all began with C!

Drinks - lots of water and a cup of lemon and ginger tea

Exercise - sweeping and hoovering, and walking to the shops (I took the bus back, because the three bags were so heavy!)

I spent just under £30 at the supermarket, which may have been a bit more than I had hoped, but I hope to use all the veg and fruit wisely so it should do me for some time. Hopefully. Wondering just now whether to make C Soup from the leftovers, or if I should just eat the rest of the veg as they are ... ???

My cousin is coming round tomorrow, so I have decided to make lentil curry. As I have never made this before, it could be interesting!

I have just paused for a short while to turn the leftover vegetables into soup - very nice and thick it is too!

I wanted to keep a record of my shopping to see how much I spend on each meal.

  1. Still water - £0.93
  2. Fresh milk - £0.45
  3. Lentils (tin) - £0.40
  4. White vinegar - £0.45 (I have been using vinegar lots recently as a cleaning product!)
  5. Bean salad - £0.46 (thought this would go nice with veg in a curry or stew)
  6. Potatoes - £1.98 (very versatile! And these should last for a while)
  7. Lychee juice £0.79 (I bought a different brand from my favourite Rubicon. Hope it's okay!)
  8. Brown rice £1.23 (thought I'd try some while H is away!)
  9. Plain bagels £1.15 (the last time I was on a diet the magazine recommended these a lot, so I ate them a lot!)
  10. Blueberries £1.00 (want to have them in smoothies)
  11. Blackberries £1.99 (ditto)
  12. 3 beef tomatoes £1.74 (3 for the price of 2, so actually £1.16)
  13. White cabbage £0.68
  14. Spring onions £0.59
  15. Leeks £0.57
  16. Broccoli £0.76
  17. Cauliflower £0.78
  18. Courgettes £0.50
  19. Twin Sweetcorn £0.66 (reduced)
  20. Plantain £0.31 (reduced)
  21. Ground cinnamon £1.40 (hmmm. Sure it said £1.23 on the aisle ... only just noticed ...) (Bought it to put in smoothies)
  22. Prepared salad £2.00 (rocket, watercress and spinach, my favourite)
  23. Smoked mackerel £1.68 (thought I should have some oily fish!)
  24. Celery £0.50
  25. Cucumber portion £0.33
  26. Mushrooms £1.08 (3 large flat ones)
  27. Bananas (5) £0.60
  28. Plums (punnet) £1.00
  29. Natural yoghurt £0.68 (for smoothies in the morning!)
  30. Carrots £0.42
  31. Aubergine £0.84
  32. Onions (3) £0.51
  33. Red onion £0.19
  34. Pear £0.20
  35. Quiche £0.31 (reduced)
  36. Seasons best £0.66 (not sure what this is though! Will need to go and look in the fridge!!)
So, today's dinner so far has cost about ... about 85 pence. Not bad! And it's been very healthy. Quiche, soup and veg. Might even make a smoothie for supper!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Get a pot or two outside your front door... You could grow some nice salad leaves and tomatoes! Or can you have a window box???

Nzeru Louisa said...

Would like to do that sometime. But as we will be off soon, think I may leave it at moment! And I should really go and get some sleep now too ... !!!