Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Muslim prayer

A tiring day today, which is a surprise since I didn't have too much teaching to do, and I wasn't up that late last night. Told the sixth formers the story of Clementine and Boater, during which one pointed out, "Miss, you should be in Eastenders!" Think it could have been over-dramatised ...

I think my year 7 lesson, on Muslim prayer, would have worked well if my class had been quieter (and had minimal listening skills). I got them to all stand up, and then say how they felt, and who they would stand like this for. We went through some of the prayer stances, including kneeling and bowing; pupils were often quick to point out "We do this in church!" and "This is how we stand when the Headmaster enters", before I showed them pictures of Muslims at prayer. We would then have looked at the differences and similarities of Muslim and Catholic prayer, if the bell hadn't gone, indicating the start of their detention. I will use this lesson again - it was very kinaesthetic, which the pupils liked, and it takes away some of the strangeness of Muslim prayer that pupils might have if they just looked at the pictures.

Had a late meeting, unfortunately, at school. I'd forgotten about it and was late - I think I missed the most important and interesting part. An important meeting, just annoying that it went on for at least 45 minutes later than planned. I was lucky that by the time I left school, the rush hour traffic had dispersed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so what is the point

Nzeru Louisa said...

There is no point! Other than reflective practice. Could you be more specific?