Monday, April 16, 2007

First day back ...

Well, after I failed to teach about prophets, I failed to revise Marriage and Family Life, then I failed to teach about leadership in the church, then I finally failed to revise Worship and Celebration. Fun!

To be fair, most of the Year 8s were fine, quite malleable, and want to learn. However, about six of the pupils refused to follow the clear instructions I gave them about where I wanted them to sit, so I spent about half an hour or so phoning parents to let them know. And those six pupils managed to make sure that no one learnt anything. However, since it took so long to seat them, I was able to work out what different pupils are like - how malleable, polite, willing to learn etc they are - and then walked round and spoke individually to the good ones, praising them, and telling them that I expect good things from them and that they've impressed me so far. Let's hope it pays off next lesson.

I'm not very fond of most of the Year 11s I have today. A number of them are quite immature, and like throwing paper balls and pen lids at each other. Very hard to revise.

Year 7s are so noisy. I hope I can book a computer room on a regular basis, because I think they could do quite well if I could give them a practical project to work on. It's the trying to get their attention long enough to explain what I want them to do that's the problem. Very frustrating.

The Year 10 group I have today are also quite a strange bunch. A lot of really nice pupils, and some that really want to learn - but a few that are still finding it hard to remember why they are at school, I think. We did a mindmap, but only a few managed to complete it. They've got their test on Thursday. Hmmmm.

Lamb and roast potatoes with veg and gravy for dinner. Delicious!

No comments: