Wednesday, April 04, 2007

French Philosopher

What an interesting day today. In the morning I did three hour-long slots of marking as part of my research and my pupils' GCSE revision. Then my AS students arrived, with lunch, for some Utilitarianism revision. Then I came home, got changed, and we headed to the British Library to listen to Alain Badiou, the leading living French philosopher. The talk was held in the very comfortable conference centre, and the combination of this, Alain's soporific voice, and my lack of knowledge and understanding of the topic, meant that I had a very cosy 20 minutes or so snooze. Since this came after a very clear introduction, and before a fairly clear summary, I managed to catch the gist of the message, which was that existence is appearing to be, in a place. I think. The question session afterwards was not so clear, but perhaps that was because I was reading the "What's on" guide. Lots of interesting talks as part of their "Sacred" exhibition throughout April and May. I think we'll be back. But hopefully to something that I understand more!

No comments: