Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Dissertation

I've spent much of the day visiting a collague from university who is also going to be completing her dissertation this year. It was good to have a chat about the different ideas we have, and to be able to swap ideas and suggestions. I think I may research the benefits of using peer and self assessment with KS4 (GCSE) pupils, in order to raise attainment. I teach two year 11 classes, one of which mostly contains pupils I taught last year, and the other is a more mixed group. They all sat the first GCSE paper last year, so I would have quite a lot of quantitative data to compare. I could focus on my borderline C/D students - at least 4 pupils were only 2 marks off a C in the last paper, so should manage to get a C overall this year. I now need to write up this Proposal and get it to my supervisor by the end of the month.

Other than that, I read a bit from "The Puzzle of Evil" this morning, which was explaining the St Thomas Aquinas' viewpoint from his Summa Theologiae ... I'm writing that to try and fix it in my mind more than anything else! I've had another look at that official document I finished the other day, and now I'm cooking chicken casserole, rice and veg. And then I think I'm ready for an early night!

3 comments:

Nzeru Louisa said...

An addition - or perhaps a subtraction!

My to-do list now reads:

1. Marking - 5 sets of books, one set of exam papers
2. Read up and prepare for Year 12/Year 13 lessons
3. Plan lessons/ppts for Year 11
4. Complete planning ppt/talk for uni presentation and school presentation (in case I'm allowed to go...)
5. Try to hone the proposal for my Dissertation
6. Shopping (well, this will be a continual one, won't it!)

So number 3 has almost gone! Good night!

Anonymous said...

you seem to be spending your whole week off working on school projects - have you had any time off?

Nzeru Louisa said...

Well, I've rarely been getting out of bed before about 10am ...! And we watched "Misery" last night. Very uplifting ...! We might go out later on today. But mostly, I'm glad to have the opportunity to get up to date with things. It's just that the relaxing etc in between means that the school things seem to take up some of my time everyday.