Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Coins, windows, observations

Felt more rested today ... just as well, another busy day!

Had a really nice AS lesson ... shame the attendance was rotten. We were learning about Utilitarianism and I think the students would find it much easier than some of the other ethical theories we have studied. Year 7s were (trying to) complete the work we started yesterday ... I wish they'd realise that it would be so much easier if they stayed in their seats and listened quietly to the instructions. Sent three to the Referral Room, because they were throwing coins about. Then I had my Year 10 class ... very little work done, but I then refused to let them go for lunch until they had completed a certain amount of work. It took some of them 15 minutes, some almost half an hour, because of their procrastination. One boy climbed out of the window, fell and got covered in dirt, the rest of the class got up and laughed at him, I pointed out that that was an automatic letter home, he said that was okay, his mum was late in on Fridays, when the letter would arrive, so he would get it first, I commented that in that case I would need to phone his mum to check she had received the letter, he looked sheepish while everyone laughed again, so I suggested he come back round (through the door this time) in order to complete his detention and we'd forget about it this time. So he did, and stayed for half an hour, which also gave me the opportunity to talk to him about the sort of support he'd like me to provide for his writing in class. There were about five boys who pushed their way out of the door ... I followed them up later with extra homework, and tried to call home, but couldn't get through to any of them. I've written up so I can discuss it with their Head of Year tomorrow ... I will keep on at them until I can crack them! (That's the plan, anyway!)

Also observed another lesson, my second this week. It's really hard giving feedback, especially when it's on the borderline between two "judgements". Lots of good things happening in the lesson, but could there have been more? At least it's done now. I should have two more observations tomorrow, but I think one of the teachers may still be off. Then I'll just have a couple left ... and someone should really observe me. But I'm keeping that quiet for now ... ! (I hate being observed!)

Must go now ... I have to plan my Year 11 lesson, a Year 10 cover lesson (for when I'm observing another teacher), and I need to read some documents and write a report for a meeting I can't go to tomorrow, and do some reading in preparation for the meeting I am going to go to tomorrow ... Must also get the salmon on the grill, and peel the potatoes!

No comments: