Saturday, March 03, 2007

Romania

I now have a beginning picture of Romania ... in the north it is more mountainous that in the centre and south. I picture a house on the top of a hill, surrounded by hills, an hour's walk from a main road ... Lots of land for children to play in ... all the houses in the town with large plots of land. Children leaving home to go to colleges in nearby towns at 14, four years of college before exams and university. Hot summers and winters where snow sometimes falls so much that it gets almost shoulder high. Children have to swim through the snow, pushing the snowdrifts out of the way, to get to school. Summers where all the local children have barbecues in the hills, the older ones chasing the little ones who pinch the sausages ...

I had a lovely lunchtime conversation with a couple of year 11 girls yesterday. It was really interesting, and poignant, to hear their tales from home ... and it was moving to be thanked for my time, to sit and talk with them. It was such a pleasure for me, and reveals the side of school life that we don't get to see very often. Pupils do appreciate it when teachers can have a moment to sit and talk about their lives. And so often we are all too busy, rushing around getting things done, to actually stop and talk. That's why whenever it happens, it stands out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

is there some reason you are finding out about Romania? It sounds very interesting - don't know about the snow drifts though. Sounds like you had a not bad week - hope the weekend is all right too!

Nzeru Louisa said...

The two pupils I was speaking to are Romanian! They were telling me about where they come from! Yes, it's been a quite good week ... the year 10 groups all change next week, though, so that could throw up some challenges!

So far this weekend I have collected my new glasses and changed my new trousers, after tripping on the edge that hadn't been hemmed and tearing them. Hope the new pair lasts longer - and doesn't result in me tripping up in front of the Polish girls that gather outside the Learning Support Department!