Monday, January 08, 2007

Back to School!

I enjoy Monday mornings when I don't have a cover ... up until about form time! Seriously, it was nice to see my form again - they are very lively and generally seem to be happy pupils - but I do wish they had a bit less energy. And a bit more respect. Ah well. I'll keep at it!

My Year 11 class all arrived very promptly and smartly, and it was a shame, really, that we then had to go to an assembly and spend the rest of the lesson there. Hope the lesson on Friday goes well instead!

In the afternoon, my Year 7s had moments of stillness and listening! Must cultivate those ... We were focusing on thinking about how we can improve our levels this term. I think most have made comments about adding more detail to their answers ... a shame, I was hoping they were all going to plan to listen more and talk less, but that doesn't appeared to have figured much. At least hopefully now should know what their target level is and what level they are currently working at. In preparation for the Ofsted visit.

My Year 10s? Well, anyone walking in would no doubt have been surprised to learn that the pupils have an assessment next lesson. They didn't sound as if they knew much, nor as if they were learning much. Oh dear. We managed to go over ten key words. Some of the pupils knew some of the words ... but some were more interested in screeching at each other.

All in all, it was quite a quiet day. I also managed to sort out a bit of admin, and planned a few lessons with our NQTs. She's really very perceptive at times, of what will work and what won't with her class. We managed to hone down the lessons to the basic tasks. We also met up with the Head of Sixth Form to plan the unit of work for the compulsory General RE lessons.

The day finished with a long middle management meeting. Some bits are worthy but dull; some bits are quite inspirational. I'm planning on auditing our homework in the department, and asking for examples of good homework so we can build up an exemplar "good homework" file. I've also planned an artwork for the Chapel with the Head of Art. Exciting!

Another good piece of news was that I realised that my Year 11 reports are due in next Monday, not Friday as feared. Great, all week and the weekend to finish the second set! However, I also realised in the morning that I have to go to a course on Saturday ... and then the Head of Sixth Form, who is also writing her dissertation, reminded me that we have a uni meeting on Wednesday after school! So it looks like a busy week (probably fortnight, maybe month, possibly term) once again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad the first day wasn't too bad. yes I think you will always be busy at work - glad you had a bit of a rest during the holidays (or a change at least)