Saturday, January 13, 2007

The Last King of Scotland

We've been to see this fim about Idi Amin. A big film about a big man. One of those films where at the end of it, the audience sits in silence. At least for a few seconds, before some start getting up. But still, everyone left in silence.

My husband and I discussed it a lot as we did the shopping. What was interesting was our different perceptions - I am probably writing a completely different reflection than if I had written without talking about it with him. He grew up hearing about Idi Amin, hearing about the myths, the stories ... his experience of presidential stateliness, mystique and magic was completely different from mine. I remember the first time I heard about Idi Amin, a friend of mine was talking about his visit with the Queen, when after a meal, he said "I am completely fed up!" (or words to that effect). I can't quite remember the phrase, but the way my friend spoke, and the tone of voice and the words she used, were comical, and, having seen and heard footage of Amin since, were quite authentic. Since then, I have learnt about Amin throwing the Asians out of Uganda, and many of the myths that surround him, but I haven't known much, really. So some of what I saw tonight, I saw for the first time, but for my husband, he had seen, heard and experienced much in the film, therefore had different expectations.

I found it a big film, like I said, with many things to think about. I was constantly thinking about things as I watched it, interpreting what I was seeing, trying to consider how some of the things must have looked like from other points of view, trying to decide how I felt about certain characters and why they acted as they did. I don't really want to go into details, thus spoiling the film for others, but there were many shocking scenes - as well as many funny ones. But I think for H, the funny scenes weren't funny enough, nor the dreadful scenes dreadful enough. Literally, full of dread. In one scene there was a sense of foreboding - but since this was when Amin was wooing the Western press, I'm not sure if it was charming enough ... And when the Asians were suddenly turfed out, I thought "What Asians? We've hardly seen any in the film," and realised that there was an omission there.

I do think that this was a good film, definitely about the Scottish doctor rather than Uganda, though. And I have to say that I didn't particularly like the doctor. Although I think that means the actor played him well. One anachronism though - I'm sure a Scotsman wouldn't have made a joke about liking his food (was it in relation to human flesh? I don't remember) being deep fried. I'm sure that was more a nineties thing ... Fried maybe, but deep fried?

Anyway, it's really late, and I'm getting up in seven and a half hours and I'm still really tired, so I think I'll leave now. May reflect more on the film tomorrow, having slept on it. Hope I don't dream of it though!

And why did he call himself the Last King of Scotland?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While in the UK doing his army training he met many soldiers from all over the UK. He liked the Scottish officers and men he met but disliked the arrogance of English officers and men. He saw Scotland as another colonial country, in a similar fashion as Uganda, with predominately English government officials running Uganda (and Scotland?)as a colony. He offered to be King of Scotland, I believe in a letter to the Queen, in order to free Scotland from English rule! This alleged letter was not answered!

By the way, did you never try deep fried Mars Bars from the chippie in Old High Street? Remember, the Scottish diet used to be, allegedly, deep fried anything with chips! If I remember correctly, you used to like deep fried white puddings, sausages and beefburgers before you learned better!

On a modern news point of view, I have read in Malawi News that a similar thing is happening with Asians in Malawi. They are being banned from owning land. property etc, similary to the land laws in Zimbabwe where white farmers lost their farms.

Must see the film. Good write up, as usual!