Saturday, January 13, 2007

Tube Tale

"Can I have your attention please? I would like to apologise for the delay. I have been told there are people on the track. People running around on the track. That's all the information I have at the moment. I will let you know when I hear any more."

"Can I have your attention please? Now I've heard there are policemen out on the track. I am still waiting for more news."

"Can I have you attention please? I've been told there are two bodies on the track. Whether that means two people on the track or actual bodies, I don't know. I'm waiting to hear more. Sorry for the delay."

"Your attention please. It sounds like a really bad incident. It seems to be in East Ham. There could be a two hour delay."

"Yer 'avin' a laff!"

"Attention please. We're going to try and move the driver's carriage forward into Mile End. You can choose to get out there and make your own way home. I'm still waiting for more information."

"Can I have your attention please? I'm afraid there is a body under the train at Barking. It's between stations, so it's going to take a lot longer than - well, I hate to say 'normal', but ... I'm still going to try and move the train forward. I can see the train in front - it's still not moving."

A group of young people, who have been chatting and giggling throughout all the announcements, including the one above - "That would be so cool, if they had to switch off all the electricity and we had to get out and walk along the tunnel in the dark ... There might be ghosts ... Ghost rats ... !"

"Can I have your attention please? I'm trying to get permission from the manager to move, but he's really busy at the moment, of course. It's queued back to South Kensington at the moment. As soon as I get permission I'll move."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I missed two sets of traffic lights on my way home from work...................

Road works in South Street.....

Heavy rain today, try to splash a traffic warden...???...!!!...

ONLY KIDDING - they do a FANTASTIC job!!

And the band played

Nzeru Louisa said...

That's weird ... I replied to this comment last night, but it's not showing up ... I was just reflecting (in the comment that seems to have got lost) that it was sad and sombre to hear that someone had died ... I had started jotting down the announcements when I assumed it was teenagers larking about on the line. The young people further down the carriage commented that someone might have been taking a short cut through a tunnel up ahead.

Nzeru Louisa said...

Hmm. Maybe I pressed "Preview" instead of "Publish your comment", and assumed it had gone through ...

Nzeru Louisa said...

Here is the BBC News reporting on the aftermath of this incident:

Click here to read the report.