Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Sleep, sweet sleep, wherefore art thou?

I am exhausted ... have been ever since I woke up. Must get to bed early tonight ...

My AS pupils have difficulties arriving at school. One arrived, about ten minutes late. Another arrived about ten minutes later - he was supposed to be elsewhere, but we suggested that since his exam is next week, he would do well to ask for permission to leave his last class and come to my one. He disappeared, and re-appeared about five minutes before the end of the lesson. A couple of minutes before another girl arrived. And a few minutes before the final two attendees decided to attend, after the bell arrived. Did I mention they have an exam next week?

My Year 10s sat their end of unit assessment. Not as much cheating this time, although after a few illicit conversation and some strained eyes, I decided it was easier to just to read out the key word from the poster on the wall, rather than put up with their devices to get to the front of the class ... oh dear, I've just dropped my pen and it slid along the floor to the front of the room just disturbs everyone else. At least they might see the point of my wall displays now.

The Year 7s? Lots of shouting, some tantrums, stamping of feet ... and they were pretty bad too. Eventually had a few of them back for detention. Didn't manage to play the game that was part of the lesson plan. Shame. I'd been quite looking forward to it. Wonder if they'll be able to manage lesson 3 in the scheme of work? As for their homework, quite a few came up to me to say they hadn't understood the homework. List some communities you can think of eg church, school, guides. Choose one and describe it. Even if they didn't know what a community was, I can hardly believe that noone in the home knew either,and there were no dictionaries, internet search engines, or mobiles to "phone a friend" around.

Only one A level student. Since he's from Uganda, my favourite part of the lesson was where we discussed the forthcoming film, "The Last King of Scotland". But we looked at Natural Law too.

I also managed to squeeze a couple of meetings, some form filling, a lot of filing, some other admin and a couple of short conversations into the day. Then I went off to uni for my dissertation seminar. We were thinking about the Literature Review. Well, they were. I was thinking about sleep. No wonder I got lost on my way home.

I have a meeting with the other ex-HoD tomorrow. Looking forward to it, but exhausted. Still have to do those final Year 11 reports, plan tomorrow's lessons, go to a conference on Saturday, go to an opening on Friday, and see TLKOS sometimes during the weekend.

Sleep, sweet, sweet sleep ...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hope you got some!

Anonymous said...

What time did you get up?!? Love the story about the Yr10's and their cheating attempts!

Nzeru Louisa said...

The alarm goes about 6am, for the first time ... it gets hit once, twice, maybe three times, then I have to be up by about 6.20am ... shower, breakfast etc, and in this cold, dark weather I finally leave about 7.15am. Arriving not long before school starts.

As for the year 10s, they got more devious today and I didn't even notice ... I had left the folder with the assessments on the table at one point when I went to phone for someone, and I had heard some shuffling, but when I looked in, all seemed quiet ... However, at the end of the day, when I was tidying up, I realised that a piece of paper by the radiator wasn't just any piece of paper, but was in fact the mark scheme!

What is interesting, though, is that there were two sets of questions to choose from. Most chose the questions beginning "What is the meaning of celibacy?"; however, this was the mark scheme for the set headed "What is the meaning of ordination?" So any cheating might be easy to spot ...!

Anonymous said...

Thought ordination lead to celibacy so the answers would be roughly correct!!

Nzeru Louisa said...

Fortunately the other three questions are quite different! (Although, of course, they all revolve around the topics of the Church, ministry, the Bible, Authority and Tradition and the Virgin Mary ...)